Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Letter From Marietta

Weekly Messenger [Boston], January 15, 1818

Marietta, Nov. 11, 1817

Dear Friend - I now take this opportunity to inform you that we arrived here all in good health. I crossed the Ohio River at Charleston, Oct. 18th, 80 miles below Pittsburg, then went about 90 miles to Sairville - then I struck the Muskingum - then I went down by land sixty miles to Marietta.

I find this to be a poor, muddy hole; the mud here is more disagreeable than the snow in Massachusetts. My advice to all my friends is not to come to this Country. I intent to leave it as soon as the spring opens, and mean to be back before May is out. And there is not one in a hundred but what is discontented, but they can't get back having spent all their property in getting here.

It is the most broken country that I ever saw. Poor lean Pork is 12 cents per lb. They sell Salt at 4 cents the lb., poor dry Fish is 20 cents per lb. The Corn is miserable and we cannot get it ground, we have to pound it, those who have Lanterns grate it. Rum is 25 cts. a gill. Sugar is 37 cts. per lb. and as for Molasses, there is none. Iron is 12-1/2 cents per lb.

My horses stood the journey well. They are yet alive and in good health and flesh, but they tell me every day they are homesick and want to go back. They say they were good servants to bring me here, but will be better to carry me back.

This Country has been the ruin of a great many poor people. It has undone a great many poor souls forever.

There has been a great freshet in Marietta. They had to drive the Cattle back to the hills, and to paddle all thro' town into their houses. I wish you to show this letter to all my friends, especially to Mr. Wyman and to write me as soon as possible.

Zacheus Parker

[To:] Mr. Daniel Wells


No comments: