Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Chinese Fortune Goes To Widow of George On Yick A Former Local Laundryman

 The Register-Leader, July 31, 1916

The widow of the late George On Yick, who for a number of years conducted a Chinese laundry in this city, will receive a sum from his estate sufficient to constitute a fortune in China. The following from the Canton, Ohio, News gives an account of the appeal made by the widow for the estate. On Yick after leaving Marietta took the American name of George Edwards:

Nearly $1,000, enough to constitute a fortune in China, will be sent from the probate court here to the widow of Chan Lung, also known as George Edwards, who died here two years ago.

The widow, Heng Shi, has just been located through the American Consul at Hong Kong and with the assistance of Edwards' friends here.

In a unique letter just received by probate court, the widow says she is in great need and pleads for the money.

Edwards was proprietor of a laundry and left an estate which, after the payment of claims and bills, is worth $926. Ralph Whitacar, the administrator of his estate, has asked the court for permission to send the money to the widow in care of the American consul. The application probably will be granted.

Edwards was converted to the Christian faith by Rev. George E. Jackson when both lived in Marietta, Ohio, and was such a devoted friend that he followed Jackson to Canton when the later came to take charge of the First Presbyterian church. He dropped his native name of Chan Lung and adopted the pastor's name, George Edwards.

The widow's letter, a literal translation of which is on file in probate court, was written to an Americanized friend in Canton and is as follows:

"Hoy Pan, Kwantung, China, June 10, 1916.

"Mr. Chak Po:

"As far as that money has concerned which I have trust on you all of my confidence and responsibility to prosecute or to collect it but at now have has nothing of the news of accomplishment of that unfortunate money is heard about. I am extremely anxious of that for not understanding of the mysterious question which had pending of the decision.

"On the completion of investigating and examining by the American consul in Canton, on me was so satisfactorily, I thought the money would send to me through the consul as soon as his letter had reach the American court, but instead of that, waiting day after day, month after month, and even indefinitely. Further on I have heard some one said that no Chinese subject having died in the U. S. after three years pass, whatever he had possess or property that he own, which hold by the government, shall not allow to prosecute. In consequence of that reason I am fear more and more.

"I have inform you that you are plan to spend your vacation of this summer on visit to your old native land. If you are so, must finish that matter before you go home. Believe in me that I am so poor. Pity on me that I am so distress. Help me all you can to get back money! Help me! Help me, help!

"I humbly praise you help me to get it as soon as the fireman to get water rescue the house on fire.

"In-as-so-much as the money would need for such emergency and moreover at present in China everything so dear increase in their value. For sample the rice per catty cost $1.20. The original price only 80 cents. Seems double the price. Indirectly or directly cause by this great World War and even by the unsteadiness of our own government.

"If you are not to ask the judge to send those money I shall be as Confucius had visited in the country of Chan.

"Your very true friend,
Heng Shi, the wife of Chan Lung."


No comments: