Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Gunsmith Shop Burned

The Marietta Intelligencer, April 14, 1858

The Gunsmith shop of A. C. McGirr was destroyed by fire last night about 2 o'clock A.M. The loss is supposed to be near seven hundred dollars. It was probably the work of an incendiary. The shop had been closed, and no fire had been used in the shop during the day. When the fire was discovered the door was partly open and the bar bent. The shop had doubtless been opened by burglars.

*     *     *     *     *   

The Marietta Intelligencer, May 5, 1858

A Card

Mr. Editor: I take this method to thank my numerous friends for their sympathy and "material" aid since the destruction of my Gun-Smith Shop (formerly occupied by E. Pratt) by fire, April 8th, and to inform the public that my new shop, erected on the site of the old one, is now completed. I am now ready to accommodate my old patrons and respectfully solicit those wishing work in my line, done in a neat and substantial manner of Front and Wooster streets, near Wendelken's Steam Grist Mill.

A. C. McGirr
Marietta, Mar. 4, 1858 

[Additional information about Elisha Pratt and Alexander C. McGirr available in the newsletter of Ohio Association of Long Rifle Collectors, Vol. 1, No. 1, August 1979, pp. 10-12: 
http://www.aolrc.com/upload/files/Vol%20I%20No%201%20Aug%201979.pdf]



No comments: