Monday, January 9, 2023

Chewing Tobacco Has Been "Staff of Life" for 108 Year Old John B. Bane

The Marietta Daily Times, April 12, 1948

By Roberta S. Burson, Times Staff Writer

Chewing tobacco may be considered a bad habit, but for John B. Bane of Wade, Ohio, it has been a "staff of life" for about 108 years.

The Civil War veteran, Washington County's oldest resident and one of the country's few remaining Civil War veterans, chuckled about his life-long habit during an interview Friday.

"I've been chewin' since I was just a small lad," he said, a puckish smile crossing his silver-bearded face.

"My grandfather held me on his knee and let me such his plug tobacco to make me puke," he went on in a strong voice. "Why, I was such a poor, sickly child I could hardly stand alone."

He wagged his white head and a half-smile tugged at his mouth, half hidden by a white mustache. "I have used tobacco ever since."

Lives With Daughter

Fully clothed, lying propped up on an old-type brass bed in the living room of the small cottage overlooking the Ohio River which he occupies with his daughter, Mrs. Lilly Hess, the kindly-faced old gentleman presented a character study which might have fit a prophet.

Blue eyes, dimmed by age yet possessing an amazing keenness, peered out from beetling eyebrows and from beneath a dark, heavy melton cap. Light and dark shadows, playing from windows on either side of the bed, touched his cheeks which were a little hollow, lending mysterious beauty to the almost ageless qualities of his handsome, well-preserved features.

"Yes, I was in the Civil War," he said slowly. "I was a blacksmith by trade, but since last November I've been in bed mostly. Legs played out on me."

Recalls Old, Old Memories

His kindly face mirrored a thousand memories that occurred more than 86 years ago. "I went out as a substitute during the Civil War for my stepdaddy and foreman, Jim Connor. I was about 17-18 years old. Was with the 38th regiment here at Newell's Run, working as a hostler. Took care of 12 head of horses."

He spread his hands, made huge by years of blacksmithing. "I didn't have much time to fool around. Had to be ready so's I could take hay anytime it was wanted to the horses. I had to carry the hay in my arms."

He rubbed his bearded chin thoughtfully. "Daggone. I believe I've forgot the name of my commanding officer entirely," he said regretfully. "I was 21 years old when I got out of the war. After that I went home and took up blacksmithing again." His face lighted. "I did blacksmithing ever since I was big enough and strong enough to life a hammer to an anvil. His voice seemed to swell with pride as he added, "I expect I've been as good a blacksmith as ever worked. Made hundreds of pounds of horseshoe nails."

His voice softening, he spoke of his mother, Lucy Tice Weaver Bane Connor, who bore him three months after the death of her husband, Dr. Jim Bane, which occurred on a ferry boat as he was en route home from a medical case.


Born in Virginia

"I was born in Virginia," he continued. "When I was about two months old I was brought to Noble County by my grandfather, George Tice, a farmer and trader. We lived on what was known as Demmy's Run, near Lebanon. Lived there 19 years. The rest of the time I've lived here in this county."

A wistful note crept into his voice. "I never was out of the county to do a day's work that I know of. Hobbies? Play?" He scoffed. "I never had a chance to learn to play. I never got to go to school, but I learned a lot in the war. If I had the chance I would have been a doctor or a preacher - I don't know which." He sighed and added in a low tone, "I never got away from home to learn anything in the world. I never go to any elections. Voted about once."

Referring to World Wars I and II, and to the general strife prevailing throughout the world today, the old blacksmith voiced his opinion of the situation brought about by the actions of people in six short words: "I call it just plain hoggishness."

Has Thirty-Four Grandchildren

In reference to his own life, Mr. Bane spoke briefly of his first wife, Sarah Catherine Bowersock, who has been dead 44 years, and of his second wife, who is also dead. With the aid of his daughter he counted 34 grandchildren, 15 great-grandchildren and a number of great-great grandchildren - descendants of his four daughters and one son.

As for his philosophy of life and reasons for his longevity, the old smithy who was born the year Martin Van Buren was defeated for the office of presidency of the U.S. by William Henry Harrison, Whig candidate from Ohio, and his running mate, John Tyler, both of "Tippecanoe and Tyler, too" fame, gave a thoughtful and sincere reply. "I always charged myself to live as near right as I could," he said slowly. "Christian ways and everything else. I don't know that I've told anyone a lie, or done any mean act of any kind." A reverent note tinged his voice. "My mother raised me like that."

Has Never Worn Glasses

Healthy to an unbelievable degree, the more-than-a-century-old man can boast of having never worn glasses and to having four of his own teeth. He chuckled as he displayed them. "I can eat pretty near anything that comes before me, and I drink lots of coffee," he said.

Looking ahead to the future and to his birthday which comes on July 1, the Civil War veteran who has outlived 25 presidents of the United States, who has seen the abolition of slavery, the annexation of Texas and Oregon, the advent of the railway, automobile, and airplane, and who has lived through the Civil War, the War with Mexico, World Wars I and II and other conflicts - offers a challenge to the months and years ahead.

"I feel fine down to my legs," he said. "There are so many things I want to do, if my legs would just let me."

He sat up in bed and gave a hearty handshake. "One of these days they may be stronger. I'll be 109 years old come July 1. come around and visit me then, and," he smiled slyly, "you can bring me a new pair of trousers for my birthday - size 32-34."


The Marietta Daily Times, November 1, 1948:

Oldest Resident In This Section Dies at Home

John B. Bane, Civil War Veteran and oldest resident of this section of Ohio, died early Monday morning at his home at Wade at the age of 109.

Mr. Bane was born July 1, 1839, in Virginia and was brought to Ohio when he was quite young. He lived in Noble County in his early life. He had also lived in Pennsylvania and in West Virginia before moving to Beverly where he lived until about 12 years ago when he moved to Wade. He was a blacksmith in his active life.

Mr. Bane's wife, Mrs. Mary Bowersock Bane, died in 1904. Son and daughter are Edward Bane of St. Clairsville and Mrs. Lillie Hess of Wade. There are 34 grandchildren, 15 great-grandchildren and a number of great-great grandchildren.

Funeral services will be held Wednesday at 1 p.m. at Doudna and McClure's. Burial will be in Beverly cemetery.


No comments: