Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Harmar Cemetery

The Marietta Register, July 11, 1867

The Harmar Cemetery contains some "tombstone literature" that is worth printing, as follows:

William Thomas Milligan, died May 18, 1853, aged 22.
     All you take notice as you pass by,
     As you are now, so once was I.

John Taylor, died July 20, 1836, aged 46.
     How strange, O God, that rules on high
     That I should come so far to die;
     To leave my friends where I was bred
     And lay my bones with strangers, dead.

We also notice that Isaac Humphreys, Esq., a noted Democratic politician in this county in former days - a member of State Senate - was born in Ireland, January, 1768 and died in Harmar, June 2, 1850, over seventeen years ago.

William Skinner, one of the early merchants of Harmar, was born at Carlisle, Pennsylvania, February 22, 1768, and died, December 14, 1840.

Martin Ludixen, a native of Poland, died August 11, 1841 - "crossed the Atlantic sixty times."

No comments: