Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Hallow-E'en

The Marietta Register, October 31, 1884

Saturday, November 1st, is All Saints' Day.  The evening preceding the festival of All Hallows is Hallow-E'en or, as the modern American youth calls it, "Holler Eve."  The beautiful custom of celebrating the vigil of the Saints by the fireside has been done away with for rude outdoor sports.  The average Marietta boy finds more pleasure in unhinging gates, removing signs, and presenting the unsuspecting passers with bouquets of decayed cabbage, than he does in roasting chestnuts with the family around the fireside.

Had a Most Busy Night

The Marietta Daily Times, November 1, 1907

Hallowe'en Was Celebrated By the People of the City.  Pranks and Schemes By the Hundred Carried Out.

Hallowe'en was most appropriately observed in Marietta last evening, at least every feat and prank imaginable was put through and if there were any schemes that failed to work they have not been reported.  But at that there was little destruction of property although the celebration was more lively than it has been for some years.

Some of the younger boys were able to enjoy themselves with harmless amusements, but these did not satisfy their older brothers.  The street car crews had their troubles and there were many trials for them.  Wagons and everything that could be carried or pulled were placed on the tracks.  On Putnam street early in the evening a large box was put on the track.  The West Side crew removed it, but there was always a pair of willing hands to place it back in the way before the car had passed the point.  The crew told how they felt about it in no uncertain terms but the mob did not care, in fact it was D-e-l-i-g-h-t-e-d.

Probably some of the disturbers tried to run away with an automobile that had been left standing in the same neighborhood.  On Front street a wagon was placed on the track and afterward it blockaded traffic on the sidewalk.  On Greene street a lot of lumber stopped the cars for a time.  On the West Side the track was soaped and on the way down from the Country Club the crew were horrified to find that they were running over an object that resembled a man.  But it was only an imitation.

It is reported that a gang of school boys went to the High School building and raised a racket there in the surrounding neighborhood.  One window was broken in the school structure and others nearby.  The bunch are said to have gained an entrance to the building when it was found that two of the men teachers were there to receive them.  The lights were turned on by the men who had been concealed in the building.  There is a possibility that something may result from this prank.

A number of the residents from this side of the river attempted to cross the Putnam street bridge when they were met by a worthy foe from the other side who were loaded with a basket of bricks and other missiles.  A battle resulted and the East Siders were driven back.

At Marietta College there was some disturbance at a late hour.  After midnight some of the students got the President's cow from his barn and they took her and tied her in the room where the chapel exercises of the Academy are held.  The cow remained there for several hours.  She was removed when people went to the place today.

The minute hands on the four faces of the College clock were carried away.  Considerable paint was used about the buildings as is usually the case.

Friday, October 23, 2009

To Arms

The Home News, December 17, 1859

The Union is almost dissolved sure! The South is arming its frontiers! They've got cannon at Parkersburg! But we did not dream that the North was also preparing for the "irrepressible conflict," until we were informed of the fact by a late bulletin from the "seat of war." The gallant citizens of Belpre, determined that the Virginians shall not point cannon at them with impunity, have mounted a number of churns on wheels on the river bank. If Governor Wise should come to Parkersburg, he would see these dreadful weapons, taking a deadly aim, not only at that devoted city, but at the whole South -- institutions and all. Therefore, beat the hew-gag! Sound the tom-tom!! Call out the malishy!!!


Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Emblem Town

American Friend & Marietta Gazette, March 12, 1828

Mr. Prentiss:

In 1824, a little prior to Robert Owen's first arrival in America, I went to Washington, distributed my printed memorial to each member of that Congress, for a grant of a million acres of land in East Florida in behalf of my "Scientific Commonwealth."  When read in the Senate, it expired for need of breath.  I then embarked for St. Domingo, intending to petition Boyer; but was wrecked by a gale, and lost 650 dollars.  With the remainder of my damaged cargo, I visited South America, and found it a paradise for communities.  But those superstitious people could not estimate how unity gives knowledge, knowledge wealth, wealth power and felicity.

The "Scientific Commonwealth" over which I preside, (and Sol, like the head of any body, must guide the rest of the planets) has commenced at Emblem Town, 7 miles from Marietta, between Duck Creek and Muskingum river; and several families are now in full co-operation, one for all - all for one!  My school begins this week.  We receive scholars to board, &c. on moderate terms; mutual instruction our method, withits monitorial discipline.  But we inculcate no other religion than that of nature, and reverence to the Great Spirit of the Universe; by which we learn to love each other, and do all the good we can.

Do me the favor to publish this communication.  Not that we seek members.  Too many, alas! will seek us.  The Community I was three months associated with at Valley Forge, near Philadelphia, was overwhelmed by a rush of importunate applicants, and there was not fortitude enough to refuse them.  All that have failed have been surcharged in the commencement.

Edward P. Page

Parmelia Sparks

American Friend & Marietta Gazette, May 9, 1827

Information Wanted

Parmelia Sparks, sister to Joseph Sparks, a native of Maryland, who left there when 7 or 8 years of age, with a family whose name I do not recollect, and who moved to Centre Square, in the State of Delaware.  She then went to live with a Mrs. Campbell, who shortly afterwards moved to Marietta, in the state of Ohio, which was about eighteen years ago, and since that time I have not heard from her.  Any information by letter or otherwise, concerning her, addressed to the subscriber at Dayton, O. will be gratefully received, besides relieving a brother of much uneasiness of mind on her account.

Joseph Sparks.
March 12, 1827.

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Washington County Postoffices

The Homes News,  March 5, 1859

There are 41 Postoffices in this county, an average of nearly two to each township.  The following is a correct list of the several Postoffices and Postmasters:

Aurelius - Albert G. Grubb
Barber - Jessie Johnson
Barlow - Lyman Laflin
Bartlett - William Crow
Belpre - E. Benedict
Beverly - John Keyhoe
Big Run - Thomas Featherston
Bonn - Walter Athey
Brown's Mills - Thomas Brackinridge
Centre Belpre - George N. Gilbert
Coal Run - Jere Wilson
Constitution - J. Harvey Deming
Decaturville - Philip Shrader
Dunbar - Shelton Dunbar
Dunham - Jasper Needham
Fillmore - Alexander McGirr
Fearing - Thomas F. Stanley
Flint's Mills - James M. Groves
Grandview - Anthony Sheets
Harmar - Chauncey T. Judd
Lawrence - William Hune
Layman - Carmi Smith
Lowell - James S. Williamson
Little Hocking - H. G. Curtis
Liberty Hill - Jacob Wharton
Lower Lawrence - William Caywood, Jr.
Lower Newport - Henry Sheets
Marietta - A. W. McCormick
Moss Run - George Casady
Newport - John Witten Gale
Olds - Joel Gilbert
Ostend - William Rea
Regnier's Mills - John Smithson
Saltpetre - William H. Kirkman
Tunnel - I. J. Vandewalker
Veto - W. H. Chevalier
Vincent - Mary J. Preston
Waterford - Charles Bowen
Watertown - Michael Ryan
Wesley - Joseph H. Gage

The following postoffices are located in villages differing in name from the office:

Centre Belpre is in Cedarville
Fearing is in Stanleyville
Flint's Mills is in Bloomfield
Layman is in Fishtown
Lower Salem is in Salem
Olds is in Cutler
Regnier's Mills is in Macksburg
Saltpetre is in Germantown

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Fourth Street Presbyterian Church in Marietta

Marietta Register, March 18, 1869

Preliminary History.

This church was formed by a colony from the Congregational Church.  The first meeting to promote the object was held at a private house July 3, 1865, at which there were thirteen persons present.  The first step they took was to invite the Rev. H. W. Ballantine to be minister of the church, and next to appoint a committee to secure a place for meetings.

Accordingly Mr. Ballantine came and commenced his labors, July 30th, following, in the Baptist School House on Washington Street, the use of which, Sabbath mornings, was generously given by the Baptist Church until the present Presbyterian church edifice was ready for occupation.  The Sunday afternoon service, as also the Sunday School and the evening meetings were held in the German Lutheran Church, corner of Fourth and Scammel Streets, which was rented for the purpose.

Organization.

The organization of the church was completed Sunday afternoon, August 27, 1865, by the enrollment of 53 members, and the election and ordaining of Silas Slocomb and Sala Bosworth, as Ruling Elders.  Forty-six of the enrolled members were from the Congregational Church, and the remaining seven from various other churches.  The organization was conducted by Rev. Prof. E. B. Andrews, of Marietta College, and the Rev. Chas. D. Curtis, then of Belpre, now president of Farmers' College, in connection with the Rev. Mr. Ballantine.

Original Members.

Silas Slocomb
S. S. Porter
Euretta S. Porter
Sala Bosworth
M. Frances Bosworth
Mrs. J. H. Shipman
H. B. Shipman
Jennie Shipman
Geo. H. Eells
Letitia Eells
Stephen Newton
Sarah A. Newton
Chas. H. Newton
Mary H. Newton
Maria B. Shipman
Anna M. Dana
J. D. Cotton
Ann S. Cotton
Ella M. Cotton
Sarah C. Dawes
Lucy Dawes
Mary B. Dawes
Eliza A. Tenney
Geo. C. Tenney
John Tenney
Mrs. L. E. Currier
Chas. P. Currier
John M. Slocomb
Julina Slocomb
Theodore F. Hall
Evelyn Hall
C. F. Andrews
Mary M. Stewart
Marian A. Stewart
William Shaw
Eliza Shaw
Charlotte E. Shaw
Sophia L. Paxton
Ann M. Porterfield
Benj. F. Stone
Julia F. S. Orr
Lucy Chapman
D. P. Pratt
Chas. Little
C. W. Anderson
L. L. Ballantine
J. J. Preston
Frances F. Plumer
M. F. Hay
Thos. Mitchell
Sarah Mitchell
Naomi A. Tenney

House of Worship.

The Church almost immediately began the building of a house of worship, laying the foundation in September, and occupying the house for public worship January 14th following.  The dedication services took place Sabbath, Jan. 28, 1866.  The building and lot cost about $9000; plans drawn and work superintended by John M. Slocomb, late of this place.

Other Matters.

The trustees of the Church from the beginning have been:  Silas Slocomb, Stephen Newton, Dr. J. D. Cotton, Geo. H. Eells and Gen. R. R. Dawes - and Dr. H. B. Shipman has been Treasurer.

Mr. Ballantine was duly installed as Pastor of the Church, by the Presbytery of Athens, in connection with the U.S. General Assembly, on Sunday, Apr. 15, 1866, and on the same day Luther Edgerton and Prof. Samuel Maxwell, having been previously elected, were inducted into the office of Ruling Elder.

On Sunday, Nov. 8, 1868, Prof. Maxwell having died some time before, Stephen Newton, Dr. H. B. Shipman and Cornelius P. Tinkham were ordained to the Eldership.

The present Session of the church therefore consists of the Rev. H. W. Ballantine, Pastor, and Elders, Silas Slocomb, Sala Bosworth, Luther Edgerton, Stephen Newton, H. B. Shipman and Cornelius P. Tinkham.

Revivals.

Three out of the four years since the organization of the church have been marked by religious interest, but not so general a revival has been enjoyed as during the two past months of the present year.  The fruits of this have not yet been gathered in so as to appear on the records, but 38 have thus far been examined and approved by the Session for admission at the coming communion.  It is expected that several more will be added to this number before that time.

Deaths.

William Shaw, Oct. 10, 1865 - 90 years.
Mary A. Anderson, Aug. 25, 1866 - 30 years.
Ellen Shaw, Sept. 21, 1866 - 82 years.
Joseph C. Huber, Dec. 10, 1866 - 30 years.
Samuel Maxwell, Jan. 21, 1867 - 62 years.
Frances P. Plumer, March 12, 1868 - 72 years.
Maria B. Shipman, July 15, 1868 - 42 years.

Summary.

Whole No. members - 145
Dismissed to other churches - 40
Died - 7
Present No. members - 98
Accepted for admission - 38

Friday, October 2, 2009

Our Old Homes - Number 2

Marietta Semi-Weekly Register, May 23,1884.

One of the most interesting of all our historic houses is the present residence of C. B. Hall, Esq.  This is one of the oldest, if not the very oldest, house in Marietta, being erected some time during the Indian war, 1791-1795, by Col. Sproat.  The late Colonel Battelle, of Newport, the drummer boy of Farmer's Castle during the Indian war, once gave Mr. Hall an account of the first time he saw the house.  He was passing from the block houses at the Point to the garrison on the Stockade, and when about midway heard the sound of hammers.  This unusual noise in what was then still a forest surprised him greatly.  Stooping down and parting the underbrush, he soon spied the tall figure of Col. Sproat and his assistants, who, hammers in hand, were driving the wooden pegs, then used for nails, putting up what is now the kitchen of Mr. Hall's house.  Col. Battelle said the building was formed entirely of logs obtained from one of the block houses at the Point, which stood near the spot where Nye's Foundry now is.

Additions were afterwards made including the first story of the present houses and a South wing which has since been pulled down.  Here resided for a number of years with Mr. and Mrs. Sproat, Commodore and Mrs. Whipple, the parents of Mrs. Sproat.  Commodore Whipple, it will be remembered, was one of the heroes of the Revolution.  It was he who burned the hated British steamer "The Gaspe," in 1772, and who when Sir James Wallace wrote him a letter, intimating that he would hang him for it, exasperatingly and laconically replied:  "Sir: Always catch a man before you hang him.  Abraham Whipple."

It was also Commodore Whipple who fired the first gun upon the ocean, in the Revolution, and who first unfurled the American flag upon the Thames, after the Peace.

During the Indian War, Commodore Whipple cultivated a garden at Col. Sproat's place and was specially proud of his watermelons.  The old gentleman regretfully saw, hosever, each morning, that during the night his finest specimens disappeared.  he decided, one night, to stand guard and catch the mischievous boys from the garrison, whom he supposed to be the depredators.  So the old soldier took his place, and patiently, as so often he had done during the Revolution, stood sentry, his ancient musket loaded, resting in one of the loop-holes of the logs, ready to give the boys a good scare.  Presently he heard the steps he was listening for, but instead of boys playing their pranks, he was surprised to see three Indians step solemnly over the fence and begin gathering his favorite fruit.  It would have been an easy thing to shoot one or more of them, but, as he said, the melons were not worth the life of a man, even an Indian, so he allowed them to depart in peace and stood guard no more over his melon patch.  Commodore Whipple, having exhausted his means in the service of his country, died in May, 1819, poor but honest, on a farm on the banks of Duck Creek,now owned by Mr. Pape.

Col. Sproat, the builder of this old home, was the first Sheriff of the Northwest Territory.  He was an extremely handsome man, very tall and straight, standing six feet four inches in height.  The Indians always called him "Big Buckeye," and Dr. Hildreth gives this as the origin of the nickname of Ohioans.

In this house was married Col. Sproat's only child to a Mr. Sibley, of Detroit, Michigan.

Col. Sproat was extremely fond of cultivating the ground, and owning to Putnam street, his garden occupied almost an acre.  This was laid out tastefully in walks and squares, shaded with ornamental trees.  He also had here quite an orchard of pear, apple and peach trees.  Boys would be boys then as well as now, and these fruit trees were a great temptation to the students of the Academy which stood near by. The late Mr. James Lawton used to tell with a great deal of glee of his going to steal apples from here and how valiantly old Black Sucke, Col. Sproat's domestic for many years, defended the garden against their attacks.  In 1805 Col. Sproat died at his home, quite suddenly, at the age of fifty-five years, and his wife leaving the old house lived with her parents.

The place was then occupied by several different persons, among others by Dr. S. P. Hildreth, and here was born his oldest daughter afterwards Mrs. Douglas Putnam.  Finally in 1809 the property was bought by Captain Greene, a cousin of the great Gen'l. Greene of Revolutionary memory, by whom it was improved in 1812, the logs being weather-boarded and a second frame story added.  Capt. Greene came from New England and had been a sea captain for many years, trading to those far off points in the old world, rich in rare old china, beautiful shawls and other beautiful things, a lucrative business at one time, but finally broken up by our troubles with foreign nations.  Captain Greene once had a desperate encounter with pirates upon one of those voyages, the marks of which he bore to his dying day.   In the thick of the encounter, while giving an order, a musket ball passed through his face, going through both cheeks but not injuring his tongue.  Captain Greene was a merchant and a down river trader, a man of enterprise and public spirit, highly respected by all who know him.

The handsome old structure now owned by Judge Follett was built in 1802 by Governor Meigs, who previous to this time, when in Marietta, had lived on the Point, on the Muskingum bank.  In 1805 the building was not finished, but the upstairs was fitted up temporarily for the Congregational Society, though their usual services were held in the Academy.  Jan. 8th, 1806, the Rev. S. P. Robbins, one of the most devoted ministers any church every had, was ordained in this house.  From a very rare old pamphlet by Dr. S. P. Hildreth, some interesting facts concerning this occasion have been gleaned.

The various pastors, living at a distance, who were to officiate, arrived on horseback some days previous to the great day and were hospitably entertained.  At this date there were only six or seven Congregational or Presbyterian ministers in Ohio, the State having a population of ninety thousand.  Reverend Jacob Lindsley came from Waterford and upon the ordination day made the opening prayer.  Rev. Thomas Robbins, cousin of the candidate, came from New Connecticut or the Western Reserve, and delivered the sermon from the words "And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come."  Matt. 24, 14.  The address was afterwards printed.  Rev. Lyman Potter, of Steubenville, made the consecrating prayer; Rev. Mr. Badger, from Austinville, Pa., gave the charge; Rev. Stephen Lindsley, pastor of the Presbyterian church at marietta, presented the right hand of fellowship and Rev. Mr. Badger made the concluding prayer.  After the services the pastor and people renewed the covenant and gave their assent to the confession of faith.

About this time Gov. Meigs returned from the South, where he had filled the position of Colonel and Commandant of the upper district of Louisiana, to accept the office of Judge of the Northwest Territory.  He some time after finished his residence, even now one of the handsomest in town, which was then surrounded with extensive grounds, reaching to the property owned by Col. Sproat.  The principal workman upon the house was Loftus Katon.

The militia training was often held upon the commons in front of Gov. Meig's residence.  The Governor not satisfied with the drill the men went through on that occasion, always had the boys form in line also with wooden guns and swords, under the command of Dudley Dodge, one of their own number, and go through with the same training.  Much to the disgust of Mrs. Meigs and Daphne Squire (the latter of whom was born in Gov. Meigs' house and lived there for forty years), at the close of the training the boys were always marched through the great hall, leaving all the mud possible, to the back yard, where they were treated to apples, pears, melons and ginger bread, then with a right about face were marched back through the hall and dismissed.  At the close of training day the militia were always drawn up in front of the Meigs residence and a salute given the Governor.

Governor Meigs, although a staunch Democrat, was fond of a good deal of display.  In this old home was placed the first Brussels carpet ever brought to Marietta and also the first of those abominations, considered in those days the height of elegance, a hair-cloth sofa.  These were all brought, with what trouble we can imagine at that early day, from Washington City.  At one time the paper in the parlor was a beautiful shade of pink.

The Governor also used a handsome carriage and cream colored horses.  The footman always accompanied the carriage, riding upon a horse the exact match of the ones which drew the carriage of his master and mistress.

During the time that Gov. Meigs was Postmaster General, from 1814-1823, Mrs. Meigs spent much of her time in Washington.  Then the house was left in some one's charge, and three maiden ladies, Miss Clarissa, Miss Catherine and Miss Mary Stone, at one time lived there under these circumstances.  In traveling to the Capital the Governor and Mrs. Meigs went much of the way on horseback, with Mrs. Meigs' reception and party dresses crushed into saddle bags in a way to drive a modern belle distracted.  During this time the Governor's salary, as a cabinet officer, was three thousand dollars, while their bill for board was twenty dollars a week.

The old house saw a good deal of gayety in those early days.  The Governor was a great favorite with youngmen and enjoyed their society.  Besides he had a pretty and interesting daughter, an only child, who was very much admired.  Royal Prentiss, connected with the first paper published in Marietta, "The Ohio Gazette and Territorial and Virginia Herald," afterwards one of the editors of "The American Friend," was one of the beaux of pretty Mary Meigs.  Lieutenant Danielson, who was in Marietta from 1804-1812, teaching much of the time and the leader of gay society, was also one of her admirers.  He went into the war of 1812 (was it on account of her unkindness to him?) and after a long illness of malarial fever (so the doctors called it), died at Fort Winchester, five months after he had put on a lieutenant's epaulets in the service of his country.  A Mr. Jeffers was also one of the victims to her bright, black eyes and raven hair and pale, fair complexion.  (Do you wonder she wanted the parlor pink?)  But probably the most distinguished of her lovers was Samuel Huntington, afterwards Governor of Ohio.  Finally, after working all the woe she could, with her sweet face and winning ways, when she was nineteen, a nuptial ceremony was solemnized by Rev. Mr. Robbins in the North parlor, and Mary Meigs married John G. Jackson of Virginia.

During the winter of 1812, several quite severe earthquakes occurred at Marietta.  Mr. Meigs was at that time Governor of the State and the family were alone in the great house.  The shocks occurred at night, once at least, the doors and windows in the stout mansion rattled viciously, the dishes danced in the closets and half the inhabitants of Marietta were in the streets in their night clothes.

Finally, after filling many of the most prominent offices in the State and Nation, having been Supreme Judge, Senator, Governor, Postmaster General, the old home witnessed a solemn scene, when its master, after months of suffering with consumption, was carried from its portals and laid to rest in Mound Cemetery.  His daughter was called to grieve for not only her father but her husband also, as both died the same day, March 29th, 1825.  Mrs. Meigs continued to live at the old home.  Usually some of her grandchildren were with her and Daphne Squier now was able to return some of the kindness with which the Governor and Mrs. Meigs had always treated her.

After Mrs. Meigs' death, in 1838, a number of persons occupied the house.  Among others were Mrs. and Miss Julia Miller and Mrs. Betsey Lovell.  In 1865 the house was purchased by Judge Follett.

Strange to say, the first owner, Governor Meigs, filled the first State office to which any citizen of Washington county was ever elected, and after a lapse of seventy years, the last owner of the house, Judge Follett, holds the second State office to which any one from Washington county has been summoned by the suffrages of the people.

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Our Old Homes - Number 1

Marietta Semi-Weekly Register, May 9,1884.

Old houses have a language of their own, alas that it should be unintelligible to us.  An occasional sleepless night would not be so unbearable if the creaking floors and groaning walls and rattling windows of our historic houses could convey to our dull senses what they try so hard to make us understand.  This cannot be.  With all their well meant efforts they only succeed in giving us Rheumatism.  There are however still with us, white haired men, who count many, many more friends in the other world than in this, who, as they walk our streets, see there the houses of almost a century ago and people the side walks with the friends of other years, the pioneer men and women, who made the great State of Ohio a possibility.  From these patriarchs, the connecting link of past and present, we have collected some facts, concerning our most interesting old homes and their early owners.

In the first years of the century, a young man, Henry P. Wilcox, moved to Marietta.  He had some means, a most agreeable manner, and a handsome person, and besides being the protege of Governor Meigs was soon a favorite with all the best people in Marietta.  Having prospered in business and married a Miss Willard, the daughter of an Episcopal clergyman, he looked about for a pleasant home.  He soon purchased the square lying between 4th and 5th and Putnam and Scammel streets.  The only building upon this ground was a small, frame house, which stood where the Mills residence now does.  This was put up in 1797, by Dr. Wm. Putnam, grandson of Gen'l. Israel Putnam, and now stands on the plain, being occupied by Mr. Kerns, the expressman.  This building gone, Mr. Wilcox proceeded to build the house which was been occupied for so many years by the family of the late Col. Mills.

This was in 1820-22.  In the year 1832 the whole square sold to Mr. Swearengen, of Wheeling, for $1300.  Mr. Wilcox and Gov. Meigs also built the store in which Mr. Brigham now has a grocery on the corner of Front and Putnam streets, and here Mr. Wilcox kept a store and the post office.  In time there was brought against him a terrible charge.  He was accused of opening letters and stealing money from them.  A man named Morris, an applicant for the position which Mr. Wilcox held and the principal witness against him, said that looking through the window, one night, he saw Mr. Wilcox taking money from letters.  The disgraced man at once fled the country leaving wife, children, property all behind.  His family afterward joined him and his business was settled by his staunch friend Gov. Meigs.  Some of his old comrades remained true to his memory; the many whom he had nursed through the long, terrible, sickly season of 1822-23, those who had admired his business ability and whose hearts he had won by his pleasant address.  These all said that he was an honest man, though a timid one, and that he had been simply frightened away.  The truth now will never be known.  It is said that Mr. Wilcox prospered and was never accused of anything dishonorable in the new home to which he fled.

An interesting house is the one in which for so many years dwelt the late lamented A. T. Nye, Esq.  Over its front door, in early times, was seen a stone with these words engraved upon it: "S. & P. Pool, 1806."  Simon and Polly Pool were the first owners of the house and for many years it was used by them for a tavern.  Mr. Nye used to say that one of his earliest recollections was of being sent there by handsome Colonel Sproat, our first Sheriff, to bring him a just of whisky.  As was the habit of those days the reckoning was kept on the door, P standing for pints and Q for quarts, from which early custom of tavern keepers arose the old adage "Mind your p's and q's."

The place was sold to Nathaniel Dodge, grandfather of Mrs. A. T. Nye, who is the last remaining member, but one, of the old generation of the Dodges.  Mrs. Nye still owns the property and keeps the ancient home a model of old fashioned comfort.  Many have been the merry makings, the weddings, the Thanksgiving dinners, in this hospitable mansion, and also many the death beds, the funerals, the heartaches, as the sad procession so many times has wound its slow length from the crape marked door.  Five generations have lived in the old house and a sunny haired girl and boy belonging to the sixth generation are never so happy as when under the roof of their great grandmother.

Next the Nye house stands the substantial brick residence of Dr. Hildreth.  The back part of this dwelling was put up in 1804 or 1805 by Nathan McIntosh for Timothy Gates.  In payment for the brick work Mr. McIntosh received one hundred acres of land near Beverly.  The three story front was erected in 1823 by Dr. S. P. Hildreth, and it is said that much of the work was done by men in payment for the services of the good doctor in the dreadful, sickly season.  Within these walls were written the invaluable accounts of the early history of Ohio and the first settlers, which form the foundation of all later works upon this subject, and without which the story of the pioneers would now be little better than a myth.

The home of the Ward family for so many years, now occupied by Geo. Rice, Esq., was built by Gen'l. E. W. Tupper, a gallant soldier of the War of 1812, about 1801, and made the finest appearance of any Marietta residence at that early day.  Gen'l. Tupper occupied it till 1810 when he moved to Gallipolis.  in 1817 it was sold to Nahum Ward, Esq.  The house was celebrated during his life-time for its open doors and hospitable cheer.  No one in Marietta enjoyed entertaining his friends more than Mr. Ward, and he never appeared to better advantage than when arrayed in his usual ruffled shirt and suit of broadcloth, he sat at the head of his long table, the picture of dignified hospitality.  When court was in session the table was always laid for a company and many were the meals taken in the old dining hall, then one of the front rooms, by such men as Tom Ewing, Gen'l. Goddard, Thomas [Samuel] Vinton and Attorney Gen'l. Stanberry, who in those early days were very frequent attendants at court in Marietta.

Two very distinguished guests have been within the walls of this old house.  In 1825 Gen'l. Lafayette was making a second tour of triumph through the United States.  One peaceful May morning, almost sixty years ago, the citizens of Marietta were startled by the booming of cannon.  A great concourse of people assembled at the riverbank, and soon a little steamer, "The Herald," was descried and across her bow, in great white letters, was seen the name of La Fayette.

It was Monday morning and Mrs. Ward, like all good house-wives, was busy superintending her home duties, when Mr. Ward hurried in, with the word that every thing must be dropped to prepare for La Fayette as he was coming and would soon be at the door.  Mr. Ward met La Fayette, whom he had visited in Paris, at the boat and the Gen'l. drove with Mr. Ward at once to his house.  The news had spread like wild fire and almost at once the house and grounds were filled with people.  Even the upstairs rooms were crowded and one woman was discovered on the back stairs, almost breathless with excitement, enquiring eagerly for "the La Fayette" and declaring impetuously that she must see "it" as she had come expressly for that purpose.  What she imagined the great Frenchman to be no one had time to find out.

Finally the people were prevailed upon to arrange themselves in lines on either side of the long, front walk and La Fayette walked up and down between them.  Everybody was introduced and shaken hands with and even the babies kissed, by this great man, whom all Americans delighted to honor.  As the boat could wait but a few hours, this soon came to an end and amid the booming of cannon and the cheers of the people "The Herald" steamed off and once more bore La Fayette over the blue waters of the Ohio.  Among the most highly prized relics in the Ward family is a cane, which La Fayette carried at the time he was confined in Russia at the Olmutz prison, and which he presented to Mr. Ward when he met him in Paris.

Later, in 1843, the old house had within its walls, as a guest, a former President of the United States, John Quincy Adams.  After an address at the Congregational Church by the distinguished visitor, he drove through the town with Mr. Ward and resting at his house for an hour, drank a glass of wine, as had also La Fayette, from the vintage of 1818.