Monday, June 8, 2009

Epidemic of 1822-23

Marietta Register, February 26, 1864

Interesting Letter from Rev. Cornelius Springer on the Epidemic of 1822-3 – Reminiscences – Personal Items.

Editor Register: Some friend has forwarded to me, through the post office, your paper of the 15th of January. It contains interesting facts in relation to the epidemic of 1822 and ’23, in your town. Though upwards of forty years have passed, since that afflicting dispensation, its events still rest impressively upon my mind; and your allusion to the subject has caused me to wake up to them with renewed interest.

My acquaintance with your county commenced in 1817, when Rev. T. A. Morris, since Bishop, and myself rode what was then called Marietta Circuit, which included all the country from Newport to Athens. I was then absent, on other fields of labor, until the Fall of 1821, when I was stationed in your town, and remained there until the Fall of 1823. So that I was in your place during the two epidemic seasons.

I do not remember the precise date of my removal to Marietta – probably about the 20th September – but I do remember that the town was then enjoying usual good health. But some five miles down the Ohio, that fall (1821), the epidemic was quite fatal. If my memory serves me, I attended some five funerals in an Adams’ family, who were visited with great mortality.

In the usual style of epidemics, the disease seemed to travel, and from this point its direction was up the Ohio; but it did not reach Harmar until the middle of the following August. Judge Fearing, being the lowest resident, was first attacked, and he and his wife both died. The widow M’Clintick being near the Judge was the next victim. The disease traveled slowly until it passed over Harmar. All this time Marietta was enjoying usual health. But the middle, or latter part of September, it passed over to that town, and began to spread desolation on the lower bottom. Meanwhile, on the high grounds, in the rear and the elevated situation of the people flattered them to believe they would be exempt from the calamity. But the latter part of October they had to take their turn of the fatal visitor.

Some time in September of this year (1822), the Ohio Annual Conference of the M. E. Church was held in Marietta. During the latter part of the session the disease spread with such rapidity, through the town, that if the Conference had not got through its business, as it did, it could not possibly have been entertained three days longer.

As to the “sickness being no worse in Marietta, than elsewhere,” as the “Friend” argues, that is, in my judgment, a great mistake. I have lived in the Muskingum valley since 1806, and have traveled extensively through the West. And while the above epidemic was in progress visited Zanesville, Lancaster, Circleville, Chillicothe, Urbana, &c., and I have never come to the knowledge of any afflictive dispensation, that, in point of severity, compares with the Marietta visitation. Out of a population of 1600 inhabitants – I do not remember whether it covered the Town or Township – there were only two persons known to have escaped the epidemic, Judge Wood, of Marietta, and a Mr. Putnam, of Harmar. Every other citizen, sooner or later, had a more or less severe attack of the disease. I attended the funeral of Judge Fearing, and his wife who died within six hours of each other; of John Clarke and his wife who died and were buried together; above Marietta, on the Va. side, the two Misses Wells, sisters, interesting young ladies, who quit life together, and were buried in the same grave. Since then I have been attending funerals for forty years; have lived in several districts where Asiatic Cholera committed his depredations, yet, in all that time I have not come to the knowledge of a single incident that compares with either of the above cases.

As to the lowness of the river, in 1822, having its bars and its beaches, and spreading its miasma upon the winds, being the cause of this fever, it is in my judgment, also a mistake. If this were the cause why was not Marietta visited as soon as Harmar? It lies lower, and is more exposed to the river air. What, then, was the cause of its visiting the Township below, with such fatality, the fall before (1821). As though Providence intended to sport with this argument, He sent a profusion of rain and high water, the next year, 1823; but the disease was more extensive, and perhaps equally fatal. But, in this case, the cause is assigned to the marsh affluvia arising from the low grounds, and the stagnant pools. But, yet, there have been since just as dry seasons, and wet seasons, as these were, but no epidemic attended them. And like causes should always produce like effects.

The truth is, these bilious epidemics are incomprehensible, both in their origin and movements. Like Asiatic Cholera the more you study their facts, the more they are involved in mystery. They appear to be special instruments of Providence, by which He adapts himself to the moral condition of the country, like the parent to his children, administering correction, as their moral or religious welfare requires. Says Job: “Afflictions come not forth of the dust.” And Amos: “Shall there be evil in a city and the Lord hath not done it?” not moral but natural “evil”; not sin but sickness. The fact is, this epidemic penetrated regions where the malaria from the river bottoms, and stagnant pools, never reached. It visited the high as well as the low lands. To quote the language of that day, it “chastised the robust inhabitants of the Allegheny mountains, as well as those that lived on the great water courses, or in marsh effluvia districts.”

The funeral of Judge Fearing was very numerously attended. He and his wife being the first victims of the epidemic, yet the town and country in usual health, and dying as they did together, produced considerable excitement; and the people turned out in crowds. He was an old citizen, and had been the particular friend of the emigrants; while others were ready to take advantage of their ignorance of the value of property, he sought them out and advised with them, and often lent them material aid. I was told there were many families, in that country, who had comfortable homes that, without the Judge’s advice and assistance, would, in all probability, have remained houseless. These acts made the Judge many warm friends. I enumerated these facts at his funeral; at the close, a man by the name of Brown, who lived a few miles out on the Athens’ road, and who had been a subject of the Judge’s kindness, came to me, with tears in his eyes, and returned me his most hearty thanks for the justice I had done his friend.

The second year my wife was attacked, and her fever ran 24 days. At this period there were so many down, there were not well enough to take care of the sick. Col. Barker, Mr. Devol and many others, in the country, sent in their daughters to aid in nursing the afflicted, and she, who is now Mrs. Gage, then a young girl, rendered important services in my family. Dr. Hildreth attended Mrs. S. with great punctuality, through her protracted illness; and would take nothing for his services. And when I insisted on his accepting at least part of a bill; “not anything,” was his reply, “I am disposed to do something for the Gospel, and I can do it in this way as easy as any other.” And to relieve my delicacies, the next day, after I had left home, he sent up, to the parsonage, a load of wood and a quarter of beef.

Although my lot was cast among the people of Marietta, in a time of severe affliction, yet, it is a very pleasant reminiscence when I call to recollection the many acts of kindness, and the confidence with which they favored me. I am not a New Englander by birth, but a descendant of the Swedes on the Delaware. And my birth and baptism stand recorded in the books of the old Swedish church, at Wilmington, which was erected in 1698, and which is, perhaps, the oldest church standing in America. And although I have found congenial spirits among every kindred and from every clime, yet there is no people that I have, in my ministerial life, felt more generally at home with than the Yankees. And this was particularly so at Marietta.

In olden times there was very great prejudice in that community against the Methodists. And this feeling had considerable strength when I first came among them. But Capt. Buell, Mrs. Bennett and son, several of Col. Barker’s family, Miss Devol, the two Misses Leonard and many others became members. These additions connected the Methodist Church with some of the principal families of the county, and it was delightful to see how fast the prejudices began to run down. The saying became very current, “it makes no difference what church we belong to, so we only have the spirit of the Gospel.”

As per the limitation law, of the church, my two years was out in September, 1823. I left in that month for the Conference in Urbana, and was the following year stationed in Chillicothe. I had no attack of the fever, until after I left Marietta. But during the fall and winter I had several. And my system appeared to be so charged with malaria, from the infected district, that I did not get over the effects for several years.

Very respectfully yours, &c.
C. Springer


No comments: