Monday, June 27, 2011

Death of Isaac Lackey

The Marietta Times, May 6, 1869

In Marietta, April 22, at the residence of his daughter, Mrs. Abenaid Mann, of old age, Isaac Lackey, aged 92 years and 7 months.

Let me go, my soul is weary
     Of the chains which bind it here;
Let my spirit bend it pinions
     To a brighter, holier sphere.
Earth, 'tis true, hath friends who bless me
     With their fond and faithful love,
But the hands of angels beckon
     Onward to the realms above.

Let me go, for earth hath sorrow,
     Sin, and pain, and bitter tears;
All its paths are dark and dreary,
     All its hopes are fraught with tears;
Short lived are its brightest flowers,
     Soon its cherished joys decay,
Let me go, I fain would leave it
     For the realms of endless day.

Let me go, my heart hath tasted
     Of my Saviour's wondrous grace;
Let me go, where I shall ever
     See and know Him face to face;
Let me go, the tree of heaven
     Rise before me waving bright,
And the distant crystal waters
     Flash upon my raptured sight.

Let me go, for songs seraphic
     Now seem calling from the sky;
'Tis the welcome of the angels
     Which e'en now are hovering nigh;
Let me go, they wait to bear me
     To the mansions of the blest,
Where the spirit worn and weary
     Finds at last its long-sought rest.

No comments: