The fine two story dwelling house belonging to Mr. James Holden, situated on Front street, was destroyed by fire, between five and six o'clock last evening. It was the house built by the late William Holden, since owned by Dr. Trevor, and was purchased by Mr. James Holden only a few weeks since. Considerable alterations and improvements have recently been made in the building, and except some painting, which was going on when the fire occurred, the house was nearly ready for occupancy. It is not certainly known how the fire originated, but it is not impossible that a spark from the pipe or cigar of a workman may have caused it. It was certainly the work of carelessness or design, for there was not properly any fire about the premises.
The house was one of the best frame buildings in town, and the loss must probably be at least $1,800. There was an insurance on the property, but a recovery under it will depend upon the terms of the policy in regard to repairs, and upon other facts of which we have no knowledge.