Sunday, March 17, 2013

Flood of 1913 - April 12

The Register-Leader, Saturday, April 12, 1913

Manufacturing Concerns Are Quick to Recover From Flood

The Stevens Organ and Piano factory will be in full running order by the first of May, although a large number of men will resume their work at the factory, Monday.  There was large loss from the flood as all of the lumber in the yards was washed away and all of the stock in process on the second floor was wrecked, including three pipe organs in process of construction.  All of the hardware supplies, felts and skins were lost.  The barns, lumber sheds and brick dry kiln were wrecked, but a large force of men are working on the buildings.

The No-Dust Company plant is almost a total loss, but the machinery was saved.  The factory is rigging up temporarily to take care of their present orders, and by the time they pontoon bridge is completed they hope to be running in full.  The company has received offers from other cities for location, but it is more than probable that they will remain in this city.

The Crescent Supply Company is running in full now.  They have not estimated their loss as yet, but it will not be great.  Their greatest loss was the inconvenience they experienced at the factory.

The Marietta Manufacturing Company has not estimated its loss.  It will not be great, and the plant will be in full running order by the latter part of next week, as a large gang of men is at work now putting the foundry in running order.

The Safe Cabinet Company is running night and day, although several of the employes have remained at home to look after their property damage.  The Safe Cabinet Company is located above the flood and their only loss will be to business by the water.

The Strecker Brothers Company resumed operations Tuesday.  They have been running with a full force of men all week.

The Ohio Valley Wagon works is in full operation.  They were fifteen feet above the flood.

The Pattin Brothers' Company are operating full force at all of their plants.  They commenced the first of the week and have now almost recovered from the effects of the flood.

The Leidecker Tool Company are also running and the greater part of the men have been working all week.  They will open with a full force, Monday.

The Marietta Chair Company's saw mill, which was carried away by the flood, will not be rebuilt, according to a statement made by Col. John Mills to a Register-Leader reporter this afternoon.  The plant is a total wreck and a large part of the lumber was carried away by the water.  Mr. Mills stated that the work of the saw mill can now be done at the chair factory proper.  The lumber and the machinery saved will probably be removed to the plant on Seventh street.  Although a few of the men not located in the water are working at the Chair Factory, full operations will not be resumed until some time next week.

A few men are at work at the Becker Mill plant in Norwood, cleaning up the damage of the high water, which reached the ceiling of the first floor.  Full operations will commence in two weeks.

The Introstile and Novelty Company had eight feet of water on the first floor.  The plant will start running as soon as the electric wires are strung across the Muskingum river. The material and stock damaged will amount to several hundred dollars.  The plating department, which was moved to the second floor, after the flood in January, was not damaged.  A large amount of household goods were stored on the second floor.  Quite a number of buildings struck the plant, as the current was very swift at that point, but no damage was done.  This is the first flood that has reached the plant since 1907.

The loss to the Colonial Chocolate Company is estimated between $3,200 and $3,500.  The greatest loss was to raw materials.  Most of the stock was placed on the second floor and as high as possible, but even then most of the stock was caught by the water.  The loss of machinery and fixtures was not heavy, and the factory is being rapidly refitted with new materials, as many orders are waiting to be filled.  The company will either build new quarters out of the flood district, or will move their factory to the second floor.  They expect to be running full force in the course of ten days.

Unitarians May Raise Church

The members of the Unitarian church are considering plans for raising their church building above the flood line, according to a statement made by Rev. E. A. Coil, Friday afternoon.  The plans, if carried out, will result in the raising of the church about eight or ten feet.  This will place the main floor of the beautiful and antique building about four feet above the mark of the recent flood.  The damage done to this building will reach $800.  Providing the church is raised, several improvements will be made.

River Traffic Is On the Boom

"The wharf boat reminds one of the good old days," remarked a well known river man today.  Continuing, the observer said that not since 1885 has he seen more activity on the river front than now.  The wharf boat is taxed to its capacity, the local shippers taking advantage of the opportunity of shipping out of the city by boat.  All of the boats are carrying heavy cargoes, as the result of damage to railroads by the recent flood.  Until all of the roads have rebuilt their tracks and bridges the boats can expect a continuance of the rushing trade.

No comments: