Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Flood of 1913 - April 7

The Register-Leader, Monday, April 7, 1913

Something of Loss

Although no estimate of the loss in Marietta from the flood can be made at this time, the committee man from each precinct reported, Sunday, that 115 houses were washed away.  Fifty were carried from foundations and 200 were made uninhabitable.  Most of these houses were in the East End and the West Side.

An estimate of the loss to property suffered by the property owners in the residence district can, in all probability be made by the latter part of the week.  The special committee appointed to take charge of this matter commenced the work of appraisement this morning.

Streets Thronged With Curious

Marietta was visited by hundred of sightseers from neighboring towns and cities, Sunday, who trailed the streets until late in the evening.

Many had journeyed several miles to see the disastrous results of the worst calamity Marietta has ever passed through.

The business thoroughfares were crowded and the visitors gazed with amazement through the mud smeared windows at the damage done within the stores.

Many of the visitors were in holiday attire, but many who mingled with them were covered with mud after a tramp of many miles across the hills from their homes in the rural districts.

Several amateur photographers were at work, taking pictures of the main streets, the wreckage, damaged homes and the campus where the soldiers and the homeless are housed.

Fared Worse Than Columbus

Morris Luchs of Columbus, formerly of this city, arrived here, Sunday.  He is looking after his property, part of which was in the flooded district.

Mr. Luchs stated to a Register-Leader reporter, this morning, that outside of the loss of life, Marietta suffered a greater loss than Columbus.

He also stated that he had visited Zanesville and other flooded cities while en route to Marietta, but none of them were in as bad condition as this city.

He expressed himself as greatly pleased at the strides the people are making toward placing Marietta on her feet.

In Explanation

A word of explanation is due our subscribers, many of whom we have been unable to reach with papers since Wednesday, March 26th.

We printed by use of a mimeograph kindly loaned and operated by Professor MacKinnon, of the high school, a sort of typewriter newspaper during four days of the flood.

The limited number of such edition which we were able to print by hand, one pate at a time, made it impossible to supply but a small per cent of the great demand.

Then after the flood had receded the conditions of the presses in the Register-Leader plant were such that old-fashioned methods - the only means possible after the big press had been put out of commission for an indefinite length of time by the water - were resorted to.  Hindrances were again encountered and still the demand for papers exceeded the supply.

Regular deliveries are being made, today, for the first time since the flood.  We are still laboring under perplexing difficulties and we are compelled to condense the news of the day upon these four pages.

We hope to within a short time to be able to give our large family of readers the regular size paper.  Until then therefore we ask indulgence with the assurance that nothing is being left undone in our efforts to surmount the many obstacles with which we are confronted.

Marietta's Birthday

This, the one hundred and twenty-fifth anniversary day of the settlement of Marietta, was to have been a gala day.  A fitting celebration had been planned and a special edition commemorating the day had been arranged for by the Register-Leader.

The reason why all such plans have been annulled it is not necessary to here exploit.  This day will be a memorable one for causes other than celebration.  But we can but hesitate for a moment in the midst of our toil and allow our thoughts to drift into the past, which has seen more glorious anniversary days, and dream of a future brighter and more prosperous.

No Rest Sunday For the Weary

Sunday was not a day of rest for the majority of the people of Marietta.  All who reside in the devastated districts and many who do not, spent the entire day at work.  The business section resembled a busy week day and all the merchants were in their stores with all the help they could obtain righting the goods to proper places.

Although several lost a large amount of stock, they are rapidly replacing it and the damaged goods are now in such shape that they can be sold.

Many of the stores, after the labors of Sunday, opened for business, this morning.  By the end of the week all of the stores will be doing business as of old.

Marietta Phone

Speedily Establishing Connections in All Parts of the City.

The Marietta telephone company is rapidly establishing communication with the outside world and within a few days will have all of the local phones in working order.

Twenty linemen and several teams were put to work Sunday noon, drawing the old cable from the Muskingum river.  This cable was severed by the swift current during the flood and all telephone connections with the west side have been cut off.

The work of re-laying the new cable, which is nine hundred feet long, will require three days.  When this is completed practically all telephone connections in the city will be in working order.

Had Narrow Escape

Rev. and Mrs. Oetjen had a narrow escape from drowning while the flood was at its height.  While being taken from their home on Third street both were thrown into the water and Mrs. Oetjen is reported to have gone down once.  One of the men in charge of the boat grabbed her as she came up and Rev. Oetjen, who is a good swimmer, was helped into the boat which had been tipped to one side and partly filled with water.

Better Progress

Being Made on the Gigantic Task of Cleaning the Streets.

The work of cleaning the city streets is progressing slowly, owing to the scarcity of laborers and teams.  The best work was done Sunday when the P. M. & I U. Ry. Company provided the city with a large electric freight car.  This car, under the supervision of Brent Powell of Parkersburg, was placed on front street and a force of men were kept busy loading the mud upon it.  As soon as the car was loaded, it was taken to the outskirts of the city and dumped.  During its absence, several teams carried the mud away.

The street cleaning force was much larger, today, owing to the fact that the wages of the laborers were raised from $1.75 to $2.25, and that of men with teams from $4.00 to $5.00 per day.

With the assistance of the freight car, and the men and teams added today, it is believed that the work will progress far more rapidly.

Arrange To Build Pontoon Bridge Across the Muskingum

At a joint meeting of the bridge committee of the Marietta City Council, the Service Director and Mayor, held Saturday evening, arrangements were made for building a pontoon bridge across the Muskingum river.

The towboat, M. D. Wayman, was procured to go to Pittsburgh to get five boat bottoms upon which the bridge will be placed.  the boat left this morning and will return the latter part of the week. 

The boat bottoms are 170 feet long, 28 feet wide and 14 inches high.  They will be anchored to the piers of the Putnam street bridge and upon these planks will be placed.

The bridge will be completed and ready for use by the latter part of next week.

To Light City

At a meeting of the light committee of the Marietta City Council, held Saturday evening, arrangements were made with the P. M. & I. U. Ry. Co. to light the city until the municipal plant can be put in working order.

Saloons to Open

The saloons of the city will open at noon Tuesday, after being closed for a period of ten days.  The mayor has issued strict orders to the police to close any place where men are allowed to get drunk.

No comments: