Monday, March 11, 2013

Flood of 1913 - April 4

The Register-Leader, Friday, April 4

Schools to Resume

The High School will probably start two weeks from Monday, judging from present indications, and the grade schools will not resume their studies until about May 1st.  The present school term will, in all probability, close about July 1st, owing to the time lost during the flood.  There has been practically no damage done to the school buildings of this city, excepting from the buildings becoming damp.  All of the seats and tables were saved.

Will Assist

Captain Bosley, of the U. S. Medical Department, arrived in the city Thursday evening, to assist Major Wadhams and Dr. Register in the sanitary work of the city.

Red Cross Hospital

A Red Cross hospital has been established in the Historical Building of the College.  There are two patients.  One is suffering from a sprained ankle and the other has a slight attack of grip.

Activity on River

The stage of the river at the local wharf, this morning, was 18 feet and falling.

Council Takes Clean Up Steps

Marietta is in danger of an epidemic of typhoid fever providing the streets are not cleaned up at once and the proper steps in sanitation are not regarded by the citizens and enforced by the Board of Health.

This was the statement made by Dr. Register, of the War Department, to the members of the City Council at a called meeting held in City Solicitor Summers' office, on Thursday evening.  All members except Snodgrass were present.  In the absence of Clerk Best, Councilman Bay acted in that capacity.

Dr. Register stated that he and Major Wadhams had been sent to this city by the government to assist and suggest means of sanitation.  He stated that he had had a great deal of experience with floods on the Mississippi river and that he has already advised in several of the Ohio cities.

Dr. Register was introduced by Health Officer Dr. McGee.  Dr. Register said that he would like to impress the importance of cleaning up the city at once.  He emphasized the fact that if this is not done there is bound to be a large amount of sickness.

He did not approve of housing the people in tents for any great length of time and asked that the people be sent to their homes as soon as possible.  He said that it is better to sleep in a damp house than in a tent.  He stated that if the people live in tents there is grave danger of typhoid.

He said that the council should assist the Board of Health in any action they take and that ample means should be provided at once.  He suggested that Council take charge of the street cleaning.

Dr. Register further said the City Council at Zanesville had appropriated $25,000 to clean up and improve the sanitary conditions of that city.

He said that the city had been divided into districts with the Health Officer and the Mayor in full charge.  The doctors in each district had volunteered their services so as to make a thorough inspection of each house and report at headquarters every day.

The following rules were given to prevent an epidemic of typhoid.  There must be pure water.  At present the city water cannot be filtered and everyone must boil the water before using it.  this order will be enforced.

The waste matter of the camps will be burned.  A deep hole will be dug and a board covering made for it.  Hay and oil will be put in the hole every day and then set on fire.  After the waste has been burned, lime will be sprinkled over the contents and the board covering whitewashed.

A general mess tent should be provided for each camp and the water and garbage burned at once.  There should be no accumulation of anything and each camp should be inspected daily.  Dr. Register and Major Wadhams have provided Health Officer McGee with a small amount of vaccine such as is used in the army for the prevention of typhoid.

Dr. McGee stated that it will require a great deal of money to clean up the city, and that several additional sanitary policemen and teams will be needed.

Upon motion of Hyler, the matter was referred to the Sewer committee for immediate investigation.  Their report will be made to council in a few days and the matter will then be referred to the finance committee.

The Uphill Task

It was one week, Wednesday evening, since the last printed edition of the Register-Leader left the press.  Meanwhile the management has been striving against great odds to give the people whatever news of the flood that could be typewritten in brief form for busy readers.

On but two days, the first of the flood, have such editions missed publication.

The Register-Leader, in getting out these typewritten folders has aimed at service rather than profit.  This newspaper has gained absolutely nothing in a financial way from the flood edition.

All money taken in over that necessary for the getting out of the paper will be turned into the general relief fund.

The flood edition has demonstrated what can be done in the day of newspaper enterprise against apparently unsurmountable adversities.  We did our best.  We believe our crippled efforts have been appreciated.  Commendable expressions all along the line have helped to keep our spirits up.

Still handicapped from the effects of the flood, the Register-Leader is unable to get out its regular size paper.  It will be some time yet before the plant will be running as of old.

Losses At Newport

Newport suffered greatly from the flood, according to reports from that city, today.  All the houses in the flooded district except two were washed from their foundations.  Three houses were carried away.

The post office was carried several feet and deposited in a yard nearby.  The people are amply provided for and several are housed in the city hall.

Executive Committee Meeting

The Executive Committee will meet this afternoon, at the Y.M.C.A., at 3:30.  One thousand cots have been ordered from Wheeling for the flood sufferers.

City Will Be Without Light

Marietta will be without street lights for some time, according to Superintendent Brown, of the Light department, in a statement before the City Council, Thursday evening.

New dynamos are needed and until these are secured nothing can be done.  new lamps are also needed, and the present old style lamp now in use in this city is not made any more, and there is not another city in the United States except Providence, R. I., which uses this lamp.  Companies are refusing to make the carbons for the lamps, as there is no demand for them.

Mr. Brown stated that the engine, boilers and the alternating machine are in good condition and will last for some time.  He suggested that two large dynamoes and several lamps be ordered at once.  He also stated that Engineer W. Edgar Reed is on his way to this city to investigate the matter.  Upon motion of Athey, the matter was referred to the Light committee, which will confer with the service director and Mr. Brown.

The matter of a pontoon bridge was referred to the bridge committee and the service director.  Mr. Meisenhelder was ordered to maintain the free ferry until the bridge is secured.

The matter of constructing a new bridge was also referred to the bridge committee.

City Solicitor Summers said that the city will have to make a large bond issue and then several of the improvement bonds will have to be recalled.  By doing this, he thought that the Sinking Fund Trustees can take the new bonds.

Superintendent Preston, of the street department, reported that a great deal of money will be needed to clean the streets.  There is no water pressure and few men can be secured.  He was ordered to commence work at once with the $2,000 now appropriated.  The matter was referred to the street committee for investigation and more funds will be provided.

Athey, of the Railroad committee, reported that the people in the neighborhood of Warner street objected to the overhead railroad crossing on the grounds that it would damage their property.  He stated that the railroad company had the right of way and can do as they think best.

The various committees will meet in Solicitor Summers' office, Saturday evening, to investigate the matters referred to them.

Upon motion of Storck, council adjourned until next Thursday evening.

No comments: